I recreated that example file tree on Linux, and darned if  I didn't get
the same result as you.  I must have had my eyes see the "~" and start
reading from there because that's what I expected to see.  So, a real bug
and not just a Mac quirk.

In fact, I get the same behavior on Windows.  It's a little weird because
"~" isn't a normal shortcut on Windows.  But Python evaluates it correctly,
for example by os.path.expanduser('~'), so we might think that expanding *@path
~\test* would act as expected, but instead it acts just like it does on
Linux.