I just incorporated your qt6/qt5 changes into my newer version of VR3.  You
have probably seen the PR by now.  In addition to your changes, I have
added new functionality.  This was so I could compile/run Julia programs.
My approach is to use an ini file to specify which external program to run
for a specific language.  There is also a simplified  capability to specify
command line parameters for that external processor.  You can only specify
params that come before the name of your file on the command line, but that
probably covers a lot of common cases.

Julia and sql are now allowed languages, and there is a new sql.py file in
modes to do  the sql colorization.

Of course, this version doesn't work in the devel branch yet, only the
ekr-qt one.