I got qt_text to work - at least on the surface - with these changes:

            Sunken = QtWidgets.QFrame.Shadow.Sunken if isQt6 else
self.Sunken
        Raised = QtWidgets.QFrame.Shadow.Raised if isQt6 else
self.StyledPanel
        NoFrame = QtWidgets.QFrame.Shape.NoFrame if isQt6 else self.noFrame
        self.setFrameStyle(Raised | Sunken)
        self.edit = e  # A QTextEdit
        e.setFrameStyle(NoFrame)

Then I also needed to change in update():

                   #width = self.fm.width(str(max(1000,
self.highest_line))) + self.w_adjust
        if isQt6:
            width = self.fm.boundingRect(str(max(1000,
self.highest_line))).width()
        else:
            width = self.fm.width(str(max(1000, self.highest_line))) +
self.w_adjust
        if self.width() != width:
            self.setFixedWidth(width)

With these changes. Leo opens outlines without crashing.  I notice that the
gutter numbers have too much padding-left, so they are cut off on the
right.  I don't know where that is set, so I didn't do anything about it.

If you want, I can push these changes to my branch and do a PR.  It's
probably easier for you to jsut copy them into yours.  Just let me know if
you want the PR.

Next up: VR3 won't load because

viewrendered3.py requires QtWebKitWidgets.QWebView
pip install PyQtWebEngine

But how to get this without stepping on the one for qt5?  Hmmm.