This is all very interesting.  One of the first programming language I
worked with (after some Focal, Basic and a bit of PDP-8 asm), a long time
ago, was Forth.  Forth's commands are all defined in Forth except for a few
primitives and the little Forth VM, including conditionals and loops.  You
are always live with the Forth interpreter, so in some ways it's live
programming.

Coming back to Leo, I'm working on an application that displays its UI in a
log tab.  I've devised a way to re-import all the imports after I make a
change to the source code.  So with one button, I can close the tab, reload
the imports and changed code, and re-open the tab.  Very fast, that is.
Almost like live programming, although without the ability to inspect
variables and have breakpoints (maybe I could use pdb here, but I haven't
tried that so far).  Before this, I had to close and restart Leo for any
code change, and this reload technique makes developing the code very
feasible.