I totally agree. I recently tried both Homebrew and MacPorts for the first
time to install Python, and I found MacPorts better designed, with better
and clearer information about the process, no tiresome jargon, better
utilities for package management, and an altogether more satisfying
experience.

For example, compare Portfile Development
<https://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.html> (and following
pages), with Formula Cookbook <https://docs.brew.sh/Formula-Cookbook> ...

Until we get a Leo Port,  and since Installing Leo on MacOs 10.7 (Lion) and
later <https://leoeditor.com/installing.html#id11> is 11 years-old and
obsolete, and as I'm using an M1 Mac with Monterey, I'm going to try How to
install Leo under M1 chip macOS 12.*
<https://blog.zoomquiet.io/leo-install-m1mac-summary.html>
Wish me good luck :)