I don't think it's the new code, as I said on the other thread.  I think
there are some Qt problems in general, but I don't think they are from
this.   I've submitted a new PR that has a setting that needs to be set to
True to enable the new behavior.

The code did require something new, and I suppose it's possible that it
matters.  To get the ItemEntered event to be emitted, "mouse tracking" has
to be turned on for the tree.  By default Qt has this disabled.  I don't
know why it would matter, but presumably there would be more mouse events
generated than there used to be.