I use ReST more than MD, but they should work the in a similar way.  For
Leo trees that are intended to be used by Sphinx, I just make the headline
of the top node start with @rst.  Otherwise I just put @language rest in
the body of the top node of the tree.  The rst3 command creates a ReST
file, and this works correctly even if you have several @rst nodes within
the tree. You don't need external files at all.  I thought there is or was
going to be a similar command for md, but I don't find it in the codebase.
There is a writer for writing @auto-md trees that probably does what you
want.  It writes an external file when you save the outline. I'm not sure
about handling the clones, though.  If you use @auto-md, I think they would
also work automatically.

BTW, in case you don't know about it yet, the *viewrendered3* plugin will
let you preview your rendered markdown within Leo, and even export the
rendering to the system browser.  This helps you to quickly spot mistakes
in your markdown and try out syntax questions.