On Mon, Jun 26, 2023, 13:34 Thomas Passin <tbp100...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the announcement about the proposed PR 3215 that massively affects
> UNLs, @Edward wrote
>
> "I won't wait for a code review. The code involved is too tricky to
> understand in an hour or five."
>
> This statement contains two red flags.

I might be miscounting, but the entire gist of your email appears to only
list the one red flag of two tricky to review.

I'm curious what you think the second red flag was?

In my opinion a red flag of 'pushing through a change without review'
regardless of supporting reasoning, comes up well before the complexity of
the code.

I think it's antithetical to the open source mantra, even with a BDFL in
place who gets to make the final decision on things, to simply push a
change through without even asking for comment.

If it's too tricky for a code review, there's something out of whack
> somewhere.  The answer isn't to skip code review, it's to figure out how to
> make it more accessible so that it *can* be commented on and reviewed.

And also perhaps not assume that people would not understand the code, even
if it's tricky there is a good potential that at least a few people might
be able to understand what the changes imply.

Mike