On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 12:31:55 PM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 11:11:51 AM UTC-5 Thomas wrote:

Reminding people (including devs) to "be careful" isn't enough.

It's not about being careful. It's about not needlessly cutting/pasting
nodes.

Devs must not cut/paste nodes if they intend to issue a PR that changes
those nodes.

Devs should never falsely claim to be the creator of a node. Got it?

No I don't. Say you (Edward, I imagine) move a subtree that contains
Terry's nodes to the Attic.  If you forget and just do a cut-and-paste,
suddenly they become your nodes.  Or maybe just the head of the subtree
becomes your node,  I don't even know.

Furthermore, I have been developing plugins and enhancing Leo internals for
some time and I have *never* once thought that by creating a node I was
claiming to be its creator.  Or that by moving a node by cut-and-paste I
was changing its creator.  Why would I, and how would I have known about
that subtlety?  After all, node ids are ordinarily invisible to the creator
and user.

Let's just make the normal behavior agree with normal expectations.