<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3678>.
> This PR improves the logic that reads external files and fixes bugs
relating to the --blacken-sentinels command-line option.

Alas not. Issues #3702
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/3702> and #3703
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/3703> show that PR #3678
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3678> breaks Leo!

PR #3704 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3704> fixes both
issues. This PR reverts Leo's read code while retaining recent minor
(unrelated) improvements.

I am confident that the PR puts this episode behind us. The PR tells why in
more detail.