All right, now the pip distro reports Leo 6.7.7.

BTW, pip won't upgrade an existing package to one of the same release.
There's probably some better way, but I handled it by deleting 6.7.7 and
its install directory from Python's site-packages directory (the one in the
user's location if installed with --user).  After that, pip doesn't know
that Leo 6.7.7 had ever been installed.