On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 7:20 AM Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recent revs to the 6.7.8 and "devel" branches install only PyQt6 when
> installing either from PyPi or GitHub. That is, both of the following will
> install PyQt6:
>

> pip install leo # From PyPi
>
> pip install -r requirements.txt # after git clone leo

I would prefer to migrate away from PyQt5, but this post
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52286940/how-to-support-alternate-dependencies-in-a-python-package>
discusses alternative dependencies. For example, pyproject.toml could
contain.

[project.optional-dependencies]gui = ["PyQt5"]

In that case the user could install PyQt5 with:

pip install leo[pyqt5]

I would rather avoid this complication, but we'll see.