On Friday, May 10, 2024 at 1:13:54 PM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

On Friday, May 10, 2024 at 8:47:46 AM UTC-5 Thomas wrote:

Going by last night's devel rev, VR was close to working as expected when I
used the toggle command, at least with the particular layout I was using
when I tried it.

That's good to know.

Turns out it was only for one particular layout.   When I tried other
outlines that used different layouts VR didn't open right over the body
pane.  I've set up a shortcut, ALT-F10, to toggle VR on and off so it's
easy for me to try out.

I originally thought of replacing the body pane with a QStackedWidget or
QTabbedWidget that would contain the body editor.  The VR/VR3 widget would
go into one of the other slots.  That's how I do it with Freewin, and
opening VR3 and my bookmark manager in tabs in the Log frame.  But I got a
little lost, with all the nested frames, where to make that change and
still make sure all the editor gets initialized correctly, the signals get
hooked up right, hand have and the method signature and return types stay
the same .  This splitter approach is probably better once we figure out
the geometry.

The branch for this PR, though, was a mess so I'm looking forward to your
new approach.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mess. PR #3906
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3906/> cleans up a lot of
cruft.

When I toggled VR's visibility, a new blank pane opened up outside Leo's
main window, and the new pane never got populated.

In any case, there will still be work to do *after* the intermediate PR
#3906 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/pull/3906/> gets merged
into devel and PR #3892
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/3892>. Let's take things
one step at a time and test each step thoroughly.

The tricky part seems to be how to get the layout we want given that the
starting layouts can be very different, even as to the number of panes as
well as their arrangement.  The VR pane needs to move over the body and and
adopt its size without changing the position of any of the existing
splitter bars.