The Type error message is from the spellchecker.  It wants to create a file
to hold new words it doesn't know, but it was not passes an actual
filename.  It shouldn't affect the rest of Leo's operation and may not even
prevent the spell checker from working.

As to the menu, don't application main menus appear at the top of the
screen for a Mac (possibly hidden until moused over)?  Qt by default does
the same.  From Qt6 docs: "Qt detects menu bars and turns them into Mac
native menu bars".