I don't like returning the results as cloned nodes.  That changes the
outline, and a search should not do that.  The search will change the focus
to the new cloned results, which is distracting and unexpected. And later
the user has to remember to find and delete those clones without
accidentally deleting something that should remain.

The format used by the Nav tab is ideal (and highly readable, better than
cloning nodes) and that's what I would greatly prefer.  No need for a new
setting and setting-toggle command, no need to step from one instance to
the next or back, no need to insert any new nodes.   Perfect.