We've had several threads about layouts recently, since with the demise of
the nested splitter there's no way for a user to apply other layouts except
by using a script, and no way to return to a previous layout without
another script. Edward is off and running with his plans.  I have been
working on scripts to create and remove layouts (which can't be done in
general with out a lot of new complexity).

What's been missing is much discussion of what the requirements for new
layouts should be.  I've learned a lot as I've been working on a layout
restoration script, and I've thought about how I think things to work.  I'd
like to invite your input too.  Here's what I have come up with so far:

A user should be able to:
1. specify a default global startup layout using a setting.
2. specify a per-outline startup layout using a setting.
3. discover alternate layouts.
4. change an outline's layout to one of the alternatives by command or menu
without re-opening the outline.
5. return the current outline's layout to its default, preferably without
reloading the outline.

A script writer should be able to:
6. specify a new layout in a simple way.
7. assign a command to activate a layout so that a user can use it.
8. if necessary, write a teardown script that will delete all objects
created for that layout and associate the script with the layout.
9. have a way for a plugin that defines layouts to make those layouts known
to a user.

Leo should provide:
10. a standard way for an instantiated layout to be deleted or inactivated
without leaving undeleted or dangling layout-specific objects.
11. a standard way for new layouts to be made available.

One or another of these may turn out not to be practical but I hope that
won't be the case.  What else have I missed?