Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Has it been shown that the current method has leaks from the build
> system into the new LFS system?  If so, I'm not aware of them.  Can
> you point to anything specific?

If you use a host with "new" binutils (2.15.x), but are building "old"
binutils (2.14 was what was current when this issue came up), then after
you install the "old" binutils, linking won't work anymore.  gcc's specs
file uses --as-needed, because 2.15.x supported it, but the ld from 2.14
will fail because it doesn't support it.

This was happening about a year ago, and we eventually fixed it by
upping the book's binutils to 2.15.whatever.  But similar issues can
come up again fairly easily (and will, every time binutils adds a new
command line option), and upgrading core system packages (binutils, gcc,
glibc) is not necessarily an "easy fix" if they do.  It isn't trivial,
in any case.

The "right" fix, at least according to me, is to get complete separation
from the host.  I.e., cross-build everything, maybe including a kernel,
then chroot or reboot (that's where the discussion is centering here,
and I don't really care which option we go with -- I'll probably end up
building a kernel, booting to it while still using my old system's FSes,
then chrooting, because I'll be building on machines that I'm at), then
continue.