Randy McMurchy([EMAIL PROTECTED])@Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:52:11PM -0500:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/01/05 13:33 CST:
>
> I am now convinced that a branch for GCC4 in BLFS is not necessary.
> There isn't that much that is going to be changed, and maintenance
> of the branch would be a lot of extra work.

Indeed very few instructions need to change to apply for gcc4.

> I haven't test much multimedia stuff yet ...

Most of the multimedia stuff (that are include in the book and some
that are not) compiled without any additional patches,with the exceptions
of Mplayer (as i noted in my previous mail in this thread,there is a
already a patch) and ffmpeg.

With regards to ffmpeg,the problem is that formal releases are rare and
the author himeself cleary states to go with cvs.And indeed if you go with
cvs,the programm will complete the compilation  with gcc4.0.1.
Mplayer site http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ used to host some archieves from ffmpeg
cvs
snapshots,but unfortunatelly they (Mplayer) had a server failure,and now the
link
to ffmpeg archieves is broken,and i dont'n know if and when they will fix it.
What we can do is to pack a working recent cvs snapshot,and to upload in our
site
(at least is all i can think right now).

As for the rest BLFS stuff,i finished building of almost 120 packages.
Packages that needed patching so far was and i didnt' see any reports in the
blfs list (like thunderbird) are.
#-------------------------------#
xpdf-3.00
abiword-2.2.8
cdrdao-1.2.0
#-------------------------------#
With regards to abiword,it gives me segmentation fault after compilation.

WvStreams cowardly failed to compile.
Same with aspell,but i am not sure if it's a gcc4 related.

All the Kde 3.4.2 packages compiled without problem (Hey i dont't need
that kde stuff... actually is for another computer).
I am with the *fvwm* ,something need to be done to include it in the book. :-)

> Instead of a branch, I propose that we update the BLFS main website
> with note about building using GCC-4 and provide a link to a page I
> will create that has information about packages that need patching.
> This is all that is really necessary. A central page to point users
> on which packages need patches and where the patches can be found.

That sounds good enough.

Log of the already installed packages attached,most of them confirmed to work
with an exeption of abiword,
Aslo uncountable perl modules with no failure.

Right now we are leaving (boys-woman-dogs) for 4 days for a mountain
trip,enough with
the compilers stuff.

Have a good day.
abiword-2.2.8