On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:28:40 -0500 (GMT+5)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Doesn't anyone read the documentation anymore?  :)  I can understand
> needing to teach them about configure...

One big problem for new Linux friends, and indeed for new users of most large
programs, it the wealth of documentation.  Often, the better the software, the
more confusing the documentation - look at Eclipse, for a good example.

Much of the available documentation is not necessarily accessible to everyone
either - I mean, for instance, that if your first language is French, then an
English document written by someone who's first language is Cantonese will not
necessarily be useful.  Who remembers the Japanese Camera manuals of the 1970s
- wakarimasu ka?

On top of all this is the apparent belief by many programmers that all their
users are programmers too.  Much of the documentation is so terse (short) that
the nuances (important details) are not obvious - much of the autotools
documents fall into that category.  This, combined with feature-creep (too many
obscure options, badly documented), makes a guide written by a third part
essential.

One of the benefits for (B)LFS is that we document how to build many things in
a simple English style that is relatively easy for native speakers to
translate.  The presence of both American and British English (not to mention
Spanish, Dutch and many others) speakers on the team means that the gross
idiomatics are filtered out too.  If y'all get ma drift?

Richard.