On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

This is a bit off-topic, but this discussion has triggered another thought. With CLFS at some point (whether you decide to chroot or boot) you're going to be building the remainder of the book natively. At that point does CLFS really need to maintain separate instructions on how to do that? In short, do they need to ever worry about UID/GID etc? We could chop off that entire section in CLFS and point users to chapter 6 of LFS to finish up their native build.

My experience with the pure64 hint (which was pretty close to LFS-6.1, no biarch or triarch considerations, and the same toolchain) suggests that it's pretty awkward to produce a meaningful precis like this.

Certainly, multilib variants are not going to fit nicely into that framework IMHO.

Look at it another way - here's a book, but at the tenth chapter we tell you to read a different book, starting at its sixth chapter, but still paying attention to the following list of variations. It doesn't feel complete, and it doesn't read well.

(the list of variations will occasionally be required patches or seds, sometimes a reminder to build more than once, sometimes a note of more failures in testsuites, sometimes a reminder to use a different version of glibc, sometimes different/extra required tools [ at least until grub3 plays its music whilst reading every known type of filesystem :-P ])

Ken
--
 das eine Mal als Trag?die, das andere Mal als Farce