Matthew Burgess wrote:

If folks are happy enough having a mismatched version of kernel vs. userspace headers I'm more than willing to upgrade the kernel just so we can get all this udev mess behind us.

Note that after the first time the user upgrades his kernel (e.g. for security reasons), he will end up with mismatched versions. It is not bad. IMHO, it is even educational and fool-proof to have mismatched versions, so that folks don't attempt to upgrade the headers together with the kernel.

As for the udev non-mess, upgrading to 2.6.14 without patches won't help.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov