Hello,

I have tried the new versions of bash, readline and less with the UTF-8 book.

Results:

less-394 specifically looks for -lncursesw in addition to -lncurses. Also it started to use the nl_langinfo() function, which means that the following text in the UTF-8 book is now wrong (chapter07/profile.html):

Some applications (e.g., "less") cannot handle the various synonyms correctly (e.g. require that "UTF-8" is written as "UTF-8", not "utf8"), so it is safest in most cases to choose the canonical name for a particular locale.

i.e. I have to insert some other example here.

Readline-5.1 compiles and works, and even passes my test with erasing multibyte characters from the middle of the command line. This paragraph is no longer true:

E.g., erasing non-ASCII characters with the "backspace" key in UTF-8 locales produces garbage on the screen if the prompt contains invisible characters. Thus, use of colors in bash prompt in UTF-8 locales is not recommended.

The LiveCD is still buggy because it uses readline-5.0 and colors in bash prompt. Please upgrade so that I can pick this up for my UTF-8 book and fix the LiveCD bug.

bash-3.1 works here, but Greg Schafer noticed a bug in tcl exposd by the new bash:

checking if 64bit support is requested... no
checking if 64bit Sparc VIS support is requested... no
checking system version (for dynamic loading)... ./configure: line 7653:
syntax error near unexpected token `)'
./configure: line 7653: `       OSF*)'

The suggested solution is:

 cd unix