Alan Lord wrote:

Anyway, a little while ago (November?) I reported a problem with the liveCD (I think it was a 6.1-preSomething version) which was that it failed to boot correctly if the CD was in /dev/hdb rather than /dev/hda. Basically when the booting script checks for the CD's existence, it can't find itself when it is in /dev/hdb.

I remember the discussion (I think), but the bug was more of a 'if you have 2 cdrom drives and some other CD is in the first one and LiveCD in the second, it would fail to find the LiveCD." Not sure if that was fixed yet.

I can't confirm your problem. I have tried the LiveCD on a multiple-cdrom system and besides the above noted bug, it worked. I just had to remove the CD from the first drive until booted. We need to take a look at that for sure. But the init program will look for a /dev/hdb:

<quote>

/* Devices to check for the LFS CD, could scan some stuff in /proc in a later
version */
const char *devices[] = {
        "/dev/hda", "/dev/hdb", "/dev/hdc", "/dev/hdd", "/dev/hde", "/dev/hdf",
"/dev/hdg", "/dev/hdh",
        "/dev/sr0", "/dev/sr1", "/dev/sr2", "/dev/sr3", "/dev/sr4", "/dev/sr5",
"/dev/sr6", "/dev/sr7",
        NULL,
};

</quote>

As you can see, /dev/hdb is indeed there and no others have reported such problems.

Can you tell us about your system?  What drives, ide/sata/scsi etc.

Does the init program put out an error message or say thing when it fails to find the CD?

Thanks.

Justin