Chris Staub wrote these words on 01/05/06 01:39 CST:

> Because, as I understand it (which I don't very well myself) 2.6.15 is
> the first kernel that can actually handle hardware hotplugging with udev
>   (and without hotplug) and you can't necessarily expect anyone to get
> something perfectly right on the first try. 2.6.15.1 or so will probably
> eliminate the need for patching, and udev 80 or 81 or so will probably
> be able to be installed much simpler. It's still in a bit of a
> transitional phase, which I'm sure is part of the reason jim wanted to
> let us all know of his progress so that the LFS community can help
> testing and working out the problems...

Thanks to you and Alex for your continued patience with me on this,
and for your answers so far. Now, with all due respect to Jim's work,
why would LFS consider doing a bunch of patching and such when it is
just a guess if this is what is going to be coming down the pipe in
just a couple of weeks with these new versions you mention?

What information can I read, or how can I learn, so that I can be
assured that what Jim is doing is the same direction that the
kernel and udev devs are going to do?

Look, I don't doubt anything anybody is saying. I'd just like to
get a handle on it myself, and I quite frankly don't have the time
to read the kernel and udev mailing lists.

There is no discussion about this stuff in the LFS lists, not even
the CLFS list, where I guess this stuff is being developed. All of
a sudden there's a message that says "but I got it to work on a
Sparc so it should work for everyone. Any changes or comments are
welcomed, but I figured I would share the news."

What news is Jim talking about? Is this news from upstream, from him,
from folks he's working with?

--
Randy

01:43:00 up 102 days, 11:07, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.09, 0.33