On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Dan Nicholson wrote:

On 1/11/06, Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  My gut feeling is that cleaning the toolchain might remove a lot of
differences (ar archives, and programs linked statically) which (at
least in lfs-svn) show up between the first and second builds,
particularly much of the 'differs, but same code'.

I changed the toolchain completely to the DIY way, and it didn't
change much on my newly ordered system.  It probably won't change much
since glibc is built the same way in both chapters.

I was thinking more of the changes I'm seeing between the second and third builds ;) Also, the libstdc++.la and libsupc++.la [ extra include paths, from memory ].

Ken, why doesn't farce do stripping on statically linked binaries?
Greg's ICA does this, and it seems safe to me.

Ah, yes, that's right, people do build static binaries such as e2fsck, don't they. Yes. Ah. Hmm. Truth be told, I had a brainfart in the early days of this and concentrated on 'ELF.*shared' instead of just ELF. I'm now stripping all elf binaries that differ, but using "only" strip-debug (results no different than strip-all for the shared elf files, but feels better).

Farce-002 is in the usual place (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/) but I'd better mention that I decided to break the files down into the types I recognised, to get a better feel for what is going on. This means using 'file' on one copy of every file in the list to be compared, instead of on only files that are not identical - on my G5, this is noticeably slower. This also highlighted that 'filelist' had stopped including symlinks. Fixed that, and allowed filelist to take a second parm for the name of its output file.

Here's an unsolicited suggestion for farce, too.  Declare variables as
local inside functions unless the variable is needed in the global
namespace.  Just makes things simpler because you don't have to worry
about erroneous results if a variable already has a value assigned.

 Real Programmers use global variables ;)  ... So do I.

Again, thanks for farce.  It's helping tremendously in the ICA.

Thanks for the comments, and apologies for taking so long to realise I wasn't stripping static files.

FWIW, I'm part way through a CLFS build (x86_64 building ppc, then ppc rebuilding itself several times). Between the first two builds I've got a difference in vim. I haven't seen that in my last builds of LFS svn, so I'm thinking it might be a dependency issue.

Ken