On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 19:25 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I was just hoping that there could be a good discussion. And when
> someone (especially one of Greg's stature in the toolchain foodchain
> ladder) says something is bad, and gives what sounds like good reasons
> (I am not qualified to agree or refute them) for his assertions,
> and they go unanswered, I feel those assertions are simply being
> dismissed.

All that was given were the facts for both and some of the history
behind why the methods were chosen.

I am not going to comment on the "goodness" or "badness" of any
suggestion, they are loaded terms not conducive to a technical
discussion in this forum.

Both ways work for an LFS style build.

Only one method works for all LFS, LFS multilib, Cross LFS multilib and
standard old-style cross-toolchain builds (sysroot builds not included
in this list, they dont need these shenannigans)

Read what was written, read the gcc info file, look at how the -B option
is used during a gcc build (preferably a bootstrap build, so you
understand its purpose, why it exists and why you will barely ever see
it used anywhere else), then make up your mind based upon the facts.

Best Regards
Ryan