Randy McMurchy wrote:

Justin R. Knierim wrote these words on 02/09/06 09:50 CST:
IMO he isn't blaming BLFS for problems with UTF-8.

Then you and I read plain English differently. IMO, the following
statement directly conflicts with what you say above:

"But it is indeed better to say "no" to UTF-8 support now, because of
BLFS issues and because UTF-8 support is a property of the whole system,
not just its base."
I do not blame BLFS. I am just saying that it is a huge (but doable!) job for me to verify all BLFS packages. My point is that if we release both LFS and BLFS now, the reader will have the choice: either don't use UTF-8 based locales (then why have 100K patches in LFS?), or don't use BLFS as it is (then why have BLFS?). Released versions of LFS always expected the reader to be able to continue in BLFS, and my patch broke that.

My opinion is that known 99.9% working BLFS has greater value than UTF-8 support in the base system. Thus, it is a good idea to postpone UTF-8 support in LFS trunk to the 6.3 release (even though it is nearly ready by itself, minus political issues), move it to a branch, and work with BLFS problems right now in the wiki.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov