Jürg Billeter wrote:
Ah, you're talking about mounting on demand, I don't call that
automounting as it can be misleading. So as recap, what I call
automounting is: plug in your usb stick, do nothing, stick gets mounted
(optionally window appears with content). You call automounting: plug in
your usb stick, click in file manager on device, file manager mounts
stick. Is this interpretation right?

Indeed. Sorry if I used the wrong term. I prefer it if things are not mounted until I need them. It annoys me if I have a CD in the drive when I boot into windows and it opens a pop up asking what to do. I have to click it away just so it doesn't do anything. Same if I boot into Mandrake or SuSE and they have HAL running. I get an icon on the desktop that I didn't want

Automounting normally needs HAL and an automounter like
gnome-volume-manager or ivman. Mounting on demand doesn't need anything
special, that's just a functionality some file managers like nautilus
provide.

I have no need for anything more. As long as I can access removable media on demand there's no problem.

Andy