Gerard Beekmans wrote these words on 05/27/06 19:48 CST:

> Could stand with a bit of modification so it outputs to both the screen
> as well as the log file. As it is, there is no output on the screen at
> all, which is so unlike any other make and make check run from the book.

I'll agree that it is different than other commands in the book,
but with modern computers is there really any point in displaying
output from commands to the screen.

It can only slow you down (sometimes significantly), and there is
nothing productive by it being displayed. Anyone who says that they
watch long compilations for informative stuff is kidding themselves.
Modern computer scroll the stuff by so quick that there isn't
anything to make of it other than the end result displayed on the
screen.

Which a tail command on the log file would result in the same thing.

Or, is it because you fear there may be nothing going on and the
terminal is hung? (in which case you tail -f the log file from
another terminal)

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
19:50:00 up 15 days, 11:50, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.04, 0.01