Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Are you going to leave the jhalfs user with a null password?
>>
> No, I was going to leave this user with the invalid password, so that
> the only way to become this user is to "su - jhalfs" from root. Root
> also has the invalid password, and can login only from the console, via
> the livecd-login script.
>
> However, Manuel has a preference of setting up nothing on the CD (even
> though it violates the existing de-facto standards), in order to filter
> out n00bs. So I am going to end up with the jhalfs tarball in
> /lfs-sources, and the following note in the README:

> AUTOMATING LFS BUILD
>
> This CD comes with the "jhalfs" tool that allows extracting commands
> from the XML version of LFS or CLFS book into Makefiles and shell
> scripts. You can find the jhalfs tarball in the /lfs-sources directory,
> and the XML LFS book is in /usr/share/LFS-BOOK-{6.2,SVN}-XML. In order
> to use jhalfs, you have to:
>
> * add the "jhalfs" user
> * configure sudo in order for that user to be able to execute arbitrary
> commands
> * create a directory for your future LFS system and mount a partition there
> * change the ownership of that directory to the "jhalfs" user
> * run "su - jhalfs" in order to become that user
> * as user "jhalfs", unpack the jhalfs tarball and follow the
> instructions in the README file there
>
> Please don't ask questions how to do the above - you are assumed to know
> this, otherwise jhalfs is not for you.
>
> Objections? Corrections?

I agree with the sentiment, but I think it would be a pain.  Since the
files on the DVD are not writable, a user would have to go through every
step of the process.  I'd just leave the jhalfs user on the system with
out a password and configure sudo appropriately.  Then you can say:

* create a directory for your future LFS system and mount a partition
  there
* change the ownership of that directory to the "jhalfs" user
* run "su - jhalfs" in order to become that user
* as user "jhalfs", unpack the jhalfs tarball and follow the
  instructions in the README file there

Also, if you are assuming the user is knowledgeable, change

* run "su - jhalfs" in order to become that user

to just

* Become the jhalfs user

  -- Bruce