Hi,

The generation of the Index is one of the most broken parts using the new
DocBook-XSL code. That meant that that higly customized stylesheets need be
full reworked.

Due that it need be reworked in any case, I would take advantage of a new
available feature: The possibility to create separate index pages for each
index section. That is, an index HTML page for packages, another for
programs, another for libraries, and so on.

To acomplish that (if I can implement it) a few changes will be need on how
{indexterm} block are tagged. For example, at a first look and waiting for
testing, a current entry like:

  {indexterm zone="ch-system-bash"}
    {primary sortas="a-Bash"}Bash{/primary}
  {/indexterm}

could be

  {indexterm zone="ch-system-bash" type="package"}
    {primary}Bash{/primary}
  {/indexterm}

I.e, the "sortas" attribute in {primary} will be replaced by a "type"
attribute in {indexterm}.

Of course, that XML changes can't be made until have the new XSL code ready.
Thus the question is, do you want that I start working on that Index pages
split or do you want only to fix the current very long longindex.xtml page
generation?

I could try to prepare a very simple POC of that index pages split if you need
something to look-at before taking a decission.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS nÂș2886:       http://www.linuxfromscratch.org