Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>>> If I remember, I'll try to transcode 10-20 minutes' worth of MPEG2
>>> video to xvid (MPEG4) on both architectures.  Both tests will run
>>> under the same 64-bit kernel, but one will be a 32-bit process and
>>> the other will be 64.
>> OK, the test was the following:  I catted data from my TV card (encodes
>> to MPEG2 in hardware) to an mpeg file for 20 minutes.  Then I ran
>> transcode on that file to convert it to xvid4.
>>
>> I ran the tests twice.  First, the 64-bit test ran fine.  But when I ran
>> the 32-bit test, it decided it wanted to mute the audio -- so to make
>> the tests the same, I disabled audio processing in both tests (using the
>> arguments "-y mpeg2,null -x xvid4,null"), and ran them both again.
>> Results from the first 32-bit, second 64-bit, and second 32-bit tests
>> are below:
>>

>> 1) 32-bit, audio not turned off, but it decided to mute:
>>
>> encoding frames [000000-035932],  40.70 fps, EMT: 0:19:58, ( 0| 0| 0)
>> clean up | frame threads | unload modules | cancel signal | internal
>> threads | done
>> [transcode] encoded 35933 frames (0 dropped, 0 cloned), clip length
>> 1198.96 s
>>
>> real    14m42.927s
>> user    19m33.863s
>> sys     0m36.278s
>>

>> 2) 64-bit, audio turned off:
>>
>> encoding frames [000000-035932],  40.22 fps, EMT: 0:19:58, ( 0| 0| 0)
>> clean up | frame threads | unload modules | cancel signal | internal
>> threads | done
>> [transcode] encoded 35933 frames (0 dropped, 0 cloned), clip length
>> 1198.96 s
>>
>> real    14m53.887s
>> user    19m9.208s
>> sys     0m35.318s
>>

>> 3) 32-bit, audio turned off:
>>
>> encoding frames [000000-035932],  40.66 fps, EMT: 0:19:58, ( 0| 0| 0)
>> clean up | frame threads | unload modules | cancel signal | internal
>> threads | done
>> [transcode] encoded 35933 frames (0 dropped, 0 cloned), clip length
>> 1198.96 s
>>
>> real    14m44.144s
>> user    19m33.503s
>> sys     0m37.031s

>> time.  This is a dual-core system, and something decided to schedule the
>> 32-bit processes differently, which made their work get done faster.
>> This is also why the FPS numbers are higher for 32-bit: the FPS numbers
>> are frames per wall-clock second.  It's also why real time is below user
>> time: the work was split between cores (100% of one core and about
>> 30-50% of the other, with the 100% core switching every couple of
>> minutes as the tasks got swapped).  If I used a single-core system,
>> 32-bit would have taken more time under both real and user.
>>
>> But only slightly more time: the differences are only ten wall-clock
>> seconds over 14 minutes (1.1%), or 20 CPU seconds over 20 CPU minutes
>> (1.7%).  This is probably well below the level of statistical
> [...]

Or, running a render farm. raytrace rendering of individual frames for
an animation sequence is also very intensive. The higher the quality the
more calculations per pixel needed. I have seen single frames require
upwards of 48 hours to render on 32 bit systems, the same image takes <
24 hours on 64 bit.