On 6/4/07, Andrew Beverley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've created an ipv4-alias script, please see attached. However, it is
> almost exactly the same as the ipv4-static script (it still needs all
> the same parameters as a normal static address), which makes me think
> that the ipv4-static script should just be updated so that it can deal
> with an ALIAS variable (similar to the script Rabenkind did).

Script looks nice, and now I see how it works actually trying the
commands. It looks like we could probably add an ALIAS config for
ipv4-static. But what happens if the user sets a label as their only
address? I.e., they only have a single config file in ifconfig.eth0
and it sets ALIAS=1 because having an alias sounds like a good idea?
I'm honestly asking because I have no experience here.

> > As for getting it in LFS, I would be find adding it to the contrib
> > directory in lfs-bootscripts.
>
> Great. If you do want to keep it as a separate script, can I suggest a
> mention of it in the network script page of LFS (ch 7.13)? This is the
> first place I think most people would go to look for this sort of
> information.

If it ends up being a separate scripts, I'll try to get it mentioned
in the book. I'd prefer to just add it to the current ipv4-static
script so long as it doesn't regress anything or add a big potential
pitfall for newcomers.

--
Dan