On 5/27/07, Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah, you're right. LFS used to create /opt/{bin,lib,include,...} for
> you. But not anymore.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.1/chapter06/creatingdirs.html
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/creatingdirs.html
>
> So, yeah. I only thought it should be supported because I thought we
> should support the setup that LFS has. If people want to support that,
> then they can make the setup themselves.

Maybe a note about it should be left in the book with the script you
included above, just to get people's brains going about the
possabilities they can mangle together with the /opt directory.  But
in the long run, leave it up in the air as to how it should actually
be done.  The reason I suggest to do that is because there isn't
exactly a whole lot of information about /opt around on the net that
is easy to find outside of FHS, and it drives the point that it is
really ultimately up to the user / administrator / monkey on a
typewriter.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Jonathan