On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 15:00 -0500, Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>
> > I suspect the alias option exists in ip for compatibility with
> > ifconfig,
> > and no other reason.  But I don't know that for sure.
>
> I believe that's correct. In the past the kernel supported aliases
> with independent statistics and the like, but that hasn't been true
> for years. Modern kernels don't treat aliases interfaces any
> different than secondary addresses on the main interface -- both
> interface statistics and iptables traversal treat all aliases just
> like the main interface, and the alternate label is only maintained
> to support legacy configurations and tools.

Okay, I see. Nonetheless would it be possible to still either get the
script altered anyway, or to add a note to the networking page of the
book stating that it is just a matter of adding a second config file in
the interface directory for a second address.

A lot of the information on the web that I came across is quite old and
referred to either creating a whole new interface directory (eth0:0 -
which of course didn't work), or using ifconfig.

Thanks,

Andy