On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:57:46 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Has anyone tried rebuilding and installing these packages in place on
> the current system?  If so, what experiences have you had?

>From memory it's a major PITA to upgrade gcc or glibc on a running
system--I don't think I was ever successful.  I never tried binutils but,
again from memory, the general rule was that anything in the toolchain
was going to present its own special set of piles of problems.

As you've noted just about everything else is easy to upgrade provided
that the code author maintains backwards compatibility and the filesystem
footprint of the installation is the same.