Rob van Dam wrote:
> Hi Brian,
> I ran into the same problem, and I decided to skip Perl, but I am
> already regretting it. I think I put back a backup of the temporary system.
>
> Does it btw make sense to try your gettext patch on a system with an
> already patched uClibc? I made a backup of my temporary system with a
> patched uClibc.
>
> Rob
>
> Brian Cheeseman schreef:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Has anyone managed to compile the Perl utils in chapter 5? I keep
>> getting errors compiling toke.c. Searches on the internet show the same
>> error, but no solutions.
>>
>> The build output I keep seeing is below.
>>
>> hlfs:/mnt/hlfs/sources/perl-5.8.8$ make perl utilities
>> `sh  cflags "optimize='-O2'" perlmain.o`  perlmain.c
>>           CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
>> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>> -O2  -Wall
>> `sh  cflags "optimize='-O2'" perl.o`  perl.c
>>           CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
>> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>> -O2  -Wall
>> perl.c: In function 'perl_parse':
>> perl.c:1586: warning: passing argument 1 of 'time' from incompatible
>> pointer type
>> `sh  cflags "optimize='-O2'" gv.o`  gv.c
>>           CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
>> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>> -O2  -Wall
>> `sh  cflags "optimize='-O2'" toke.o`  toke.c
>>           CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe
>> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>> -O2  -Wall
>> toke.c: In function 'S_scan_formline':
>> toke.c:10542: error: invalid operands to binary +
>> toke.c:10542: error: invalid lvalue in unary '&'
>> toke.c:10542: error: invalid lvalue in unary '&'
>> make: *** [toke.o] Error 1
>>

>> I have also tested this build under Glibc and it compiles correctly. Any
>> and all help appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brian.

Rob,

I generated the patch for gettext after applying the uClibc patch you
mailed to the list and it corrects the build for gettext so that the
instructions in the book work. If the consensus of the list is to apply
the patch this way, then I would push it to being added officially to
the book. Basically it just adds a global variable to the msgfmt program
which uClibc then uses to determine that all output directed to the
error_print_progname handler is sent to STDERR. In all reality a
developer could define this variable pointing to their own handler
function. Sorry, got side tracked. In short, yes it is safe (in my
opinion) to apply this patch in conjunction with the book and your
patch. My patch is working on gettext not uClibc.

If you are refering to another patch against uClibc would you mind
specifying which one and I'll look at it.

Cheers,
Brian.