On Wednesday 25 July 2007 11:27:39 pm Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The LFS LiveCD team is pleased to announce a new 64bit-only CD. It is a
> minimal CD, meaning that it contains no X Windows System and dependent
> software nor any source packages. The LFS book that is included is based
> on the current development x86_64 branch. Be advised that as of now that
> book contains no instructions for building a boot loader, and some of
> the textual information may need adjusting. However, it will produce a
> working base system.

I kicked off a 64 bit jhalfs-2.2 build from LFS LiveCD x86_64-6.3-min-pre1
last night.  The build ran to completion and resulted in a bootable system
(using a kernel from another distro but that was just laziness ... I don't
journal /boot so no Ext2 support meant no kernel 'til morning) ;)

The dbus and ext2 problems noted elsewhere exist here also but don't affect
things noticeably until system shutdown ... had to boot into that F-word
distro to get into my boot partition as the LiveCD system won't mount Ext2
filesystems and a reset was required as shutdown hangs ... umount partitions
you care about manually and let the rough side drag ... maybe mount the
partition where $SRC_ARCHIVE is ro too.

It is interesting to note how much slower the 64 bit build was.  Even though
the SBU count is down a little, the SBU time is much longer.  I don't see
that the book changed that much.  64 bit was run from the CD whereas the 32
bit build was run from the CD installed on a hard drive.  Otherwise,
everything was pretty much identical.  I only noticed 1 or 2 things being
dl'd so sources were pretty much identical between builds.  Slowness seemed
to be due to cache ejection ... the bigger the package, the longer the
relative time to complete ... small packages often were a few seconds faster.
This system is a Skt754 so no dual channel and main memory is a little slow
so if it ain't in the cache, you wait.

jhalfs-2.2 was used in both cases and the config setup the same.

I don't understand the huge difference in disk storage use ... 64 bit ought to
have been higher ... maybe more coffee is required for proper analysis and
reportage ...

Anyhow, here it is FWIW.

for 64 bit build excluding grub and no kernel build
Book version is:        SVN-x86_64-20070725
Using logs/028-binutils-pass1 to obtain the SBU unit value.
The SBU unit value is equal to 169.741 seconds.

Total time required to build the systen:        73.876 SBU
Total Installed files disk usage
    (including /tools but not /sources):        610256 KB or 595.96 MB
(209 minutes)

for 32 bit build including grub but no kernel build
Book version is:        SVN-20070718
Using logs/028-binutils-pass1 to obtain the SBU unit value.
The SBU unit value is equal to 152.126 seconds.

Total time required to build the systen:        75.619 SBU

Total Installed files disk usage
    (including /tools but not /sources):        739944 KB or 722.60 MB

Grub added .137 SBU and 1.09 MB
(192 minutes)