Greg Schafer <gschafer <at> zip.com.au> writes:
> The bottom line is we still no don't know the cause of the issue you are
> seeing. Until we understand all the issues, I'm very reluctant to majorly
> alter a build method which has held us in good stead for approx' 4 years.
> This problem is so far confined to hosts with 64-bit kernel running mostly
> 32-bit userland and it's possible the only sane solution for this scenario
> is cross compilation. It might be worth trying a different host distro,
> Fedora maybe, to see how pervasive the problem is. Anyhoo, I'll try to
> reproduce and figure out the problem when I get time, but it won't be for
> a while yet.

I'll see if I can try another distro, like Fedora, as you say.

To summarize, the tests so far seem to show that the problem is related to the
build method producing a binutils that is incompatible with the host:

 * Using '-B /usr/bin/' for GCC makes the bootstrap fail at stage3.
 * Dropping the '-B /usr/bin/' argument for GCC makes the bootstrap fail at
stage2.

In short, the stage that is assembled and linked by the binutils in /tools
cannot build another stage.

--
JH