On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:14:37AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> * x86_64 support - I think it would be great is we could get a native
> 64 bit implementation. It's a very common architecture, and really
> there are few changes from the x86 approach. Jeremy has been working
> on this in the jh-branch with feedback from Greg and Alexander. I
> think it's still up in the air how the book style would go. I.e.,
> single book with conditionals or book-per-architecture. A further goal
> would be multilib, but I don't think that should enter the picture
> until the pure64 implementation is nicely polished.

Actually, one of the benefits of the jh branch is that it works for
either x86 or x86_64 with no separation of book or commands. The text
endeavors to focus mostly on principles where there are differences
(like the dynamic linker name) and the commands are compatible with both
architectures.

One thing to consider is that because grub legacy is not buildable on
x86_64, it has been removed entirely from the book. I would suggest that
we make bootloaders a separate section at the end and offer various
solutions for various architectures. Because the commands and text have
been made generally architecture independent, we could conceivably drop
in support for, say, ppc without any adjustments to the commands and
simply add its bootloader to the end section.

Also, we could possibly add a section at the end that shows what
architectures and hosts have been used to build LFS successfully.

As for your other suggestions, Dan, you have my support. I think they
are worthy goals.

--
JH