Hi,

How does one go about choosing the correct keymaps and fonts for their system?
I've read over chapter07/console.html several times but still have a couple of
questions.

What I'm trying to do is configure a system to have a UK keymap and have a
UTF-8 capable console.  So far, I've got:

UNICODE="1"
KEYMAP="uk"

However, as you'll note, unlike the Belgian keymap mentioned in the book, the
UK keymap doesn't have a UTF-8 variant.  I'm told I need to choose a
LEGACY_CHARSET so that the bootscript will convert it to UTF-8 on the fly.  The
example for the ru_ms keymap is to convert the KOI8-R keymap, but I can't find
any such keymap on my system.

I think what is needed here is to look in /lib/kbd/consoletrans and pick a
suitable [charset]_to_uni.trans file.  So, I think I need '8859-1' in my
LEGACY_CHARSET variable, right?

If the above is correct, I think the following change might be suitable for the
book:

"There is no pre-made UTF-8 Russian keyamp, therefore it has to be produced by
converting the existing KOI8-R keymap as illustrated below:"

becomes

"There is no pre-made UTF-8 Russian keyamp, therefore it has to be produced by
converting the existing KOI8-R character set as illustrated below (available
non-Unicode to Unicode character set mappings are available in
/lib/kbd/consoletrans):"

Similarly, for fonts, how do I determine which ones are UTF-8 capable and what
flags I need to pass to setfont, via the FONT variable, so that it will display
correctly?

Thanks,

Matt.