WOW!

where have all these people come from? Jeremy asks about the LiveCD and
suddenly we have more posts to these mail lists in two days than in the
last 3 months!

I have been thinking about this since the "Happy Birthday LFS" post from
Gerard a few days ago. Since then, Jeremy's quest has certainly stirred
up some terrific energy.

I think that the LiveCD debate is fairly clear-cut in that the majority
want something to stay.

The recent posts about What next are more relevant and will probably
help to determine what a LFS CD might actually look like.

So below, I post a fairly high level, non-technical suggestion about the
LFS project.

Firstly, Gerard is definitely on the right track in his recent posts,
and DJ also hit the nail on the head too with some of his concerns.

To paraphrase Gerard's ideas (I hope correctly):

* combine the resources/knowledge of the various projects into something
more coherent,
* Implement PM (Oh yes, oh yes)
* Move away from the manual cmmi to an automated build system (Sounds a
bit like Gentoo)
* Make the LFS book more informative and less "techy/geek" speak.

The last point is a great one and where we can *all* get involved. You
don't need to be a software hacker, XML guru (where is Manuel BTW?), or
whatever to help with writing good material.

My own thoughts on where LFS needs to go have been going on for quite
some time as I have seen the list activity dwindle and I myself have
become more accustomed to using Ubuntu <don asbestos suit />. However,
this last few days it really looks like there could be some momentum to
actually make some changes and bring life back to the project.

I keep coming back to education... That was the goal of LFS and should
continue to be it's overriding objective.

So perhaps the LFS project becomes some sort of "course" (And I use the
term loosely). The "modules" of which, could be something like:

* Learning the basics (Command Line, cmmi, security, toolchain, blah blah)
* Scripting/Automating (A subject about how LFS get built, the tools,
the process etc)
* Basic Useful Applications (A sort of mini BLFS where we get
networking, X and maybe Firefox/TB type apps installed)
* Building your Distro (Completing the core build-out adding your chosen
apps and utilities and configuring)
* Making it your Distro distributable (How to make a liveCD or "your
distro", how to make an installer script...)

I'm sure you can get the idea: the modules might not be quite right, but
breaking the process up into manageable chunks, where knowledge can be
given/gained that is pretty mandatory before going onto the next step.

I'm sure that it's the educational aspect of LFS that can keep it apart
from the usual distributions, but there should be *no* reason why a
competent user of the LFS instructions can't end up with a perfect
Distro, for their needs that is maintainable and repeatable. In fact
this could spur a great many new ideas and innovation...

I'd be happy and willing to support this project with some of my time
and my somewhat limited skills ;-)

Alan

LFS ID: (216  2.4.x)

--