On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 04:06:47PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 02:52:30PM +0200, Gilles Espinasse wrote:
> > It has been reported on ipcop-devel list that  cp foo{,.bak}  contruction is
> > broken on Ubuntu-8.04
> >
> > This was on expect instructions
> >
> > cp configure{,.bak}
> > cp: missing destination file operand after `configure{,.bak}'
> > Try `cp --help' for more information.
> >
> > Could it not be prefered to build sed at the beginning, so it is always safe
> > to use sed -i?
> > That's what DYI do and what have been done on ipcop-1.4.
> > Anyway  splitting in two instructions (one cp, one sed) could be the most
> > portable way.
> >
> > This construction is actually used on expect, gcc pass2, gzip, perl (in
> > perl, with mv, not cp)
> >

> > Gilles
> >
>  Or just require people to use a sane shell ?

 Sorry, that was perhaps a bit too terse.  Thanks for the report.
When I first came here, I found the {,.bak} constructions
educational and they have the further advantage that you can diff
the files to see what got changed.  DIY has different goals, but I
seem to remember that the first package built there is /bin/bash
which gets around this particular issue.

 There's also the common problem that debian uses mawk - I don't
know if that's also a problem with ubuntu ?  Maybe we need to expand
the host-system requirements to point out that /bin/sh should be a
link to /bin/bash ?

ĸen