On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM, DJ Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  From what I've seen of it, I guess there is no concept of
> {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 or /usr/include64 like there is for the lib dirs (or
> the alternate).  I mean a total separation of the system, side by side
> would be ideal IMO.

I think a lot of people are confused about multiarch systems in this
sense. The purpose of multiarch is not to have multiple parallel
systems targeted for different architectures running natively on a
single machine. The purpose of multiarch is to allow execution of code
targeted for different architectures. It serves no purpose to have an
executable targetting both x86 and x86_64 on the same machine. The
idea being that when you run `grep', it doesn't matter if it's 64 bits
or not. Obviously, there are some programs that will behave
differently depending on the target architecture, like compilers and
other build tools. These are special cases, though.

On the other hand, to allow code for multiple architectures to be
executed, you do need parallel installation of libraries/start
files/linkers targeted to each architecture. This is why we have
/lib64 and not /bin64. In order for me to build and execute an xterm
for either x86 or x86_64, I'll need toolchain and library support from
libc through Xlib and friends in both */lib and */lib64. However, once
I've built xterm, I don't care what architecture it is as long as I
can execute it.

--
Dan