In my build of 6.4-rc1, the box was hanging, apparently for more
than 10 minutes, in the gettext tests.  Last thing in the log was
make[3]: Entering directory
`/building/gettext-0.17/gettext-runtime/tests'
Starting test_lock ... OK
Starting test_rwlock ...

 I killed it with ^C, then took a look around.  Deleted test_lock
and test_lock.o in gettext-runtime and gettext-tools/gnulib-tests,
reran make check, again it hung.

  I guessed that I might be able to turn the debugging on with
CFLAGS=-DENABLE_DEBUGGING=1 (didn't seem to add debugging output)
but the tests sailed through.  Deleted the test_lock files, repeated
without attempting to enable debugging, again sailed through.

 Back to the script, put a tail -f on the log: halted on

test_rwlock, but showed an interruptmake[3]: Entering directory
`/building/gettext-0.17/gettext-runtime/tests'
Starting test_lock ... OK
Starting test_rwlock ...make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Interrupt
make[2]: *** [check-am] Interrupt
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Interrupt
make: *** [check-recursive] Interrupt

 and there it appeared to be stopped while I was writing up my
notes, until I realised it had moved on to the next package.  The
test log now shows
Starting test_lock ... OK
Starting test_rwlock ... OK
Starting test_recursive_lock ... OK
Starting test_once ... OK
PASS: test-lock
All 1 tests passed

 followed by the main tests (1 FAIL in format-c-5 FWIW).

 Strange.  Maybe it will never happen again.  Maybe it will always
get through if left for a sufficiently long time.

ĸen