Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> With revision 8755, the new build method from DIY is in place with the
> exception of support for multilib. (More on that in a second.)

No. You've also omitted perhaps the most interesting feature of the whole
thing - the ability to migrate from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system. As
it currently stands, you're forcing folks to start from a 64-bit system if
they want 64-bit. Useless. All this `case $(uname -m) in' stuff you've
added is bogus. You'll have to rethink how you're going to handle this
aspect if you want it to work.

The other thing you've omitted is proper attribution. A simple "Thanks,
me" is not good enough for something this big. The LFS changelog is not
perpetual. You of all people should know how much time and effort goes
into engineering this stuff. Some extra words next to my existing entry on
the Acknowledgments page will suffice. "... Technical Writer and Architect
of the Next Generation 64-bit-enabling Build Method" or similar.

> I would like to know people's thoughts on how to deal with multilib in
> LFS.

It's a good question. It's easy for me in DIY because I actively target
scripting. Because LFS targets the interactive command line, you'll have
to be careful not to introduce too much awkwardness. But whatever you do,
you *must* introduce a 32-bit Glibc in the 64-bit case. I'm even
considering dropping pure 64-bit in DIY because its usefulness is limited.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/