> i didn't build the static zlib as i remove all static libs whenever a
> dynamic one is installed too. i didn't have a zlib.a just the zlib.so
> (in /lib to have it available during boot).

i've got the problem fixed.

haveing read my last post again, i got a little pale ... then more than
just a little red...

i install the shared libz in /lib not /usr/lib as in the book.

meanwhile its obvious to change the sed accordingly. and as expected,
"ldd Zlib.so" now shows libz.so as a fourth entry!! perl test has no
errors, cpan can be installed.

once again the bug just was sitting in front of the screen...

sorry

tobias