> I agree but I still don't see what is not explained.  I've re-read your
> post from yesterday several times.  Are you saying that we should
> explain the process of cross-compilation?  To me it is reasonably
> obvious that if you use cross-compilation techniques then the system
> can't use resources from the host architecture.

That one word "can't" actually makes the difference. When you put it
that way it makes perfect sense why LFS would do something like that.

> We don't ask that our users be programmers, but trying to explain *how*
> cross-compilation "removes all dependency on the host system" seems to
> be beyond the scope of the book.  To really understand the
> cross-compilation process, I think you need to be a programmer who
> understands compiler construction.

True, but only to a point. I think we should make an effort to at least
explain the basics. It's a great topic to teach somebody. I know the
book's scope would preclude us from going into all the nitty gritty
detail because it would probably become a book onto itself. But that
doesn't mean we can't add some.

The "how" is too in depth. But the "why" is more important.

> The temporary libraries are cross-compiled. Because a cross-compiler
> cannot rely on anything from the host system, this removes any potential
> contamination of the target system by lessening the chance of headers or
> libraries from the host being incorporated into the new tools.
> Cross-compilation also allows for the possibility of building both
> 32-bit and 64-bit libraries on 64-bit capable hardware.

Just about does it. How about the following to really drive the point
home (and to explain that it's the way it is, not because we decided it):

As a cross-compiler by its nature cannot rely on anything from its/the*
host system, this method removes any potential contamination...

* pick the better of the two words. I'm not sure which one is
semantically more correct. It likely doesn't even matter much.

Gerard