On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> stosss wrote:
>> I believe it would be correct to drop the "a" inside the parenthesis
>> in the last sentence of this chapter.
>>
>> Linux From Scratch - Version 6.6
>> Chapter 4. Final Preparations
>>
>> 4.1. About $LFS
>>
>> bottom of page
>>
>> - Do not forget to check that $LFS is set whenever you leave and
>> reenter the current working environment (as when doing a su to root or
>> another user).
>> + Do not forget to check that $LFS is set whenever you leave and
>> reenter the current working environment (as when doing su to root or
>> another user).
>
> No, this is really correct as is.  su is a shorthand for 'switch user
> command'.  If we spelled it out, the 'a' would  certainly be correct.
> When making contractions, we don't drop articles (a, an, the).

This also is incorrect because su is not a shorthand for switch user.
Yes, it means switch user but the command is su. The shell won't do
what you want if you type switch user.

$ switch user -
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
switch: Sorry, "user" does not appear to be a valid theme directory or tarball!