Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>> Eek, 1 test known to fail means that popt is not working as expected,
>> and therefore some pkg-config functionality is broken. If you don't
>> want to include popt in the base system, then I think it's better to
>> track down what is broken in the bundled version shipped with
>> pkg-config and fix it.
>
> pkg-config --define-variable=a=b --atleast-pkgconfig-version=999.999;
> echo $?
> 1
>
> pkg-config --define-variable=a=b --atleast-pkgconfig-version 999.999;
> echo $?
> 0

Doing some debugging, I'm making some progress.  I made some debug
printouts and in the first case got:

   required_pkgconfig_version 999.999

but in the second

   required_pkgconfig_version a=b

(which for some reason returns a positive number for
compare_versions ("0.26", "a=b") but that's a nonsense comparison due to
the invalid command line parsing.

I'm continuing to check.

   -- Bruce